Ben and Nick have worked together as athlete and coach for nearly ten years. Initially by correspondence, as he completed his secondary schooling at Marian College, Myrtleford. Since he moved to Melbourne for his university studies, Ben has been a positive, encouraging, determined and high-achieving member of our performance training group, who has always managed to balance a rigorous academic program with sporting excellence.
Although best performed in the steeplechase, Ben is an outstanding endurance athlete over a range of events including track, road and cross country and an Australian representative at the World Mountain Running Championships. Durable, versatile, ambitious and a great teammate, Ben has competed at junior and open national championships in cross country and on the track, and is an integral member of the St Stephens Harriers Athletics Club’s very strong middle distance and distance group.
In addition to having recently started as a trainee lawyer at Moores, Ben also has a busy period ahead on the track, with both state and national championships in the next 6 weeks. His immediate goal is to finish on the podium at the Australian Track & Field Championships in Sydney on Sunday April 2nd. In the longer term, one of Ben’s aims is to break the St Stephens Harriers club record of 8:36.2 for the 3km steeplechase set in 1966, by Commonwealth Games representative, Ian Blackwood.
As an athlete, Ben is very well supported by his teammates and training group, his partner Amanda, his parents and two sisters. We wish him well with his personal, professional and sporting goals and look forward to continuing to work with him.
- Started Little Athletics in Wangaratta at 12
- Joined the Wodonga Athletics Club a year later.
Other sports played:
- Played Soccer and Basketball throughout secondary school years
Favourite athletic memories:
- First Team Vic race – U17 National Cross Country champs, 2007
- Silver medal, U18 2km steeplechase, Pacific Schools Games, Canberra 2008 (behind Mark Blicavs)
- Australian junior team, World Mountain Running Championships, Slovenia, 2010
- Running first PB in 3 years in a Victorian Milers Club 3000m in December 2013
- BA (Uni. of Melb.), JD (Uni. of Melb.)
- 10-11 training runs per week (approx. 140-150kms) as well as specific strength training, run/ hurdle skills, massage and stretching.
Ben includes three quality, faster run sessions, three 30min recovery runs and four longer runs of 60mins or more. These are all done at a relaxed pace, 30-60s slower than his 10k race pace.
- Monday am, 60 mins; pm, 30 mins + drills & strength
- Tuesday am, track session; pm, 30 mins pm
- Wednesday am, 70 mins; pm, massage
- Thursday am, threshold; pm, 30 mins
- Friday am, 60 mins
- Saturday am, Hill session or race; pm, 30 mins
- Sunday am, long run of 90+mins
Keep an eye on our facebook page to follow Ben’s performances at the State and National Championships over the next 6 weeks.